Rewind to 1885 and it’s during that year that North Brother Island was used as a busy hospital complex. It was primarily designed to quarantine members of the public who had been infected with smallpox or the debilitating typhoid fever. It’s situated between the Bronx and Riker’s Island, New York City and later on in its life, the centre became a rehab clinic.
As better medical facilities with easier access have risen up, North Brother Island slowly fell into a state of disrepair – eventually becoming abandoned around 1963.
This is what it looks like today, overgrown with leafy foliage, it’s now used solely as a bird sanctuary.