For all the talk of warp-speed, teleportation transmitters, plasma rifles and alien life forms there’s certainly a lot of other details about space travel which we’re all a little less familiar with.
Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield (he was the 1st Canadian to walk in space) has revealed 13 interesting tips about living in space that you might never have been aware of. How exactly does an astronaut get a haircut? And what happens if DO you cry in space?
All is revealed in these 13 GIFs below – enjoy!
1. Wringing out a soaked washcloth
2. Nails must be clipped over an air duct to prevent them from floating around
3. Astronauts use tortillas instead of bread for sandwiches to avoid crumbs
4. When brushing your teeth, the only way to get rid of toothpaste is to swallow it
5. Astronauts have specially designed barf bags to keep vomit completely contained
6. Astronauts use a hair clipper attached to a vacuum to prevent hair from floating away
7. Desserts in space mostly come in pudding form packed in pouches. This is chocolate pudding cake
8. Vegetables come in dehydrated packs requiring rehydration before eating. This is spinach.
9. To wash their hands, astronauts use a pre-packaged pouch of soapy water.
10. This is what a can of mixed nuts in space looks like.
11. Sleeping requires specially tethered sleeping bags in small sleeping compartments so you don’t float everywhere.
12.If you cry in space it will stay on your face.
ENJOYED IT? SHARE IT!