We often romanticise the 1800′s and the early 1900′s. This collection depicts some of the weird, wonderful, unusual and curious snapshots of our human existence when monochrome was all we knew.
1. Late 1930s – Burlesque dancer Zorita walks her pet snake.
2. 1958 – Model Monique Van Vooren bowling with a kangaroo.
3. 1900 – Five U.S. Soldiers (and boy) in a fan formation.
4. Date unknown – Harold Lloyd shakes hands with a little person.
5. 1922 – Women in Chicago being arrested for wearing one piece bathing suits & showing leg.
6. 1928 – The LA Public Library’s 1928 bookmobile for the sick.
7. 1908 – Mr. and Mrs. Frank Kern and their trained dog Bobbie.
8. Date unknown – A woman consoles a orangutan on a cruise ship.
9. 1965 – A football game goes on as a fire rages on at a boarding school in Northfield, Massachusetts.
10. 1890s – Charles B. Tripp the armless man and Eli Bowen the legless man. Both men traveled with the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey circuses.
11. 1920s – A man dances in a mini-skirt and top hat.
12. 1940s – After 14 months at sea on Her Majesty’s frigate Whitby, seaman Anthony Bennett meets his baby for the first time.
13. 1880s – Josephene Myrtle Corbin, the Four-Legged Woman, Myrtle’s extra legs resulted from an even rarer form of conjoined twinning known as dipygus.
14. 1950 – Miss Shapely Silhouette Beauty Competition. No faces allowed.
15 and 16. Stanley Kubrick’s images of NYC in the 40′s. He took the shots from a camera in a concealed paper bag.
17. 1934 – Young women make fun of sign at a beach in Miami, Florida requiring full bathing suits.
18. 1950 – A baby bear drinks a bowl of honey in a cafe as a waitress watches in 1950.
19. Date unknown – A little person dances with a black cat.